Six Weeks Down




We are now 6 weeks into being a family of 5.  We are surviving.  It is a steep learning curve, and I definitely feel like I am in over my head.  My sense of structure and consistency is being stretched yet again.  I never know from day to day what time I will be waking up, when I will be nursing the baby, if I will be able to get any down-time to myself, whether the dishes will get done or the bed will get made.  But so far, my son has gotten to kindergarten pretty much on time each day and there has been food on the table (this is, in great part, due to our generous friends and family who helped bring us meals throughout the first month--thank you!!).  Of course, what time we eat and the quality of the meals that I've personally made are variable.  And my kids have watched more TV in this past month than I am comfortable with too.  I feel like God is challenging me to let go of the things that I put so much of my self-worth and identity in, and to admit my weakness and deep need for Him to carry me.  I just can't do it all.  A very uncomfortable place for me to be, but a good place, as I hopefully grow in my dependence on Him.



Needless to say, the time has really been flying by.  Our son is still playing in the never-ending soccer season.  When we signed up in late August, we were told that the last game would be the weekend before Thanksgiving.  We assumed that also meant the end of the season, no more practices during the week, etc.  However, here we are, halfway through December and we are still going to practices twice a week in the dark and cold.  For goodness sake, our kid is only 5 years old!  Thankfully this weekend (Lord willing!) is our last tournament & we really will be done.  The scary part is...my husband just took our son down this morning for early registration for Little League (!)  It doesn't start until March, so we'll have a couple of months off, but still...I'm hesitant about these high-commitment sports teams at such a young age.  Our son really does love it though, and he is a good athlete.  It has been good for him to have an outlet for all of his physical energy, to get out and run around with other kids.It seems that God has gifted him with skills in sports, so I want to be open to how He'll use it in his life.

The last picture of the never-ending soccer season!
These kids saw each other 3 times a week since August.
They've become quite good buddies by now!
Our oldest daughter finished up a music class right after the baby came, and she referred to it as her "dancing" class.  Since then, she has been adjusting to being a big sister, and no longer the baby of the family.  She is an eager helper around the house...always runs to go get whatever I ask her to.  She loves her baby sister, but she also is a 2 year old--needing a lot of attention herself!  She wants very much to be independent, but it can be frustrating when she insists on doing something by herself that she really doesn't have the skills to do yet.  We are working a lot on dressing herself these days.  She still loves going to the park, swinging, and chasing the ducks.  Playing in the rain is becoming a popular activity too.  She loves to talk & be part of any conversation, mimicking the adults in her expressions and mannerisms.  It doesn't matter if she understands what we're talking about or not, or if anyone understands her...she just likes to feel like she's contributing.  She also loves to sing and has an amazing repertoire of songs that she knows and improvises to.  Last weekend, she had her first performance at church, singing Christmas songs with her Sunday School class on stage.  Big brother was standing next to her, so she did stay on the stage, but spent most of the time with her fingers in her mouth!  One of these days we'll try to post video of that.

Our littlest one is becoming more social.  She started returning our smiles with real ones of her own at 5 weeks, which is such a rewarding milestone to me.  I love it when my babies start expressing that they are happy and recognize me!  This makes waking up in the middle of the night to feed her much easier.  Although she is only waking up once during the night to eat, so I can't really complain that much anyway.


Big sister wanted to share her doll with the real baby...
Cuddling with Papa...you gotta love these moments.


Oh, another "first" is that our son decided to cut his own hair....  Apparently it was bothering him, only on the left side of his bangs.
BEFORE

AFTER

These siblings are learning to entertain themselves
together a lot more these days
In many ways, I am looking forward to this "difficult" newborn stage to be over, but I know that I want to cherish it and enjoy it too.  I might not get to blog again before this year ends, but hopefully that will be because I am spending my energy instead on investing in these precious kids, as well as getting some personal time to reflect and give thanks for our many blessings.  At the holiday season, I want to remember most the gift of Jesus, our Savior.  I know, with glaring awareness each day, that I need Him more and more.

Comments

Popular Posts