My Christmas Presents at Work

New additions to our family
My husband gave me a piece of Le Creuset enameled cookware.  I was so excited.  It was so pretty and I have always wanted a Le Creuset piece for my kitchen.  I looked at it for weeks, sitting in the box, then finally took it back.  I just couldn't justify the expense for one piece of cookware.  And it's not as though the piece he got for me was the most expensive one.  It was a smaller piece & honestly, I knew that I would get the most use out of a larger piece, which I was not willing to bust out the difference for.  I've never had any cast iron pieces, and what I was most eager to have was a 5-6 quart dutch oven, as well as a cast iron skillet.  Well, after returning the Le Creuset piece, I had more than enough money to purchase both pieces that I felt were more useful for our family in the less expensive, Lodge, brand.

It took me awhile to make these decisions, and I will probably always still longingly eye the Le Creuset cookware, but I am happy with our purchases.  It is a bit of a learning curve to cook with cast iron, but not as bad as I thought it would be.

Here's the dutch oven

And here's my skillet...I love that it can go from stovetop to oven

And here's the soup I made to go with the cornbread! 
Of course, now that I have these lovely pieces in my kitchen, I really do need to be using them.  These days my cooking has gotten MUCH simpler, and sometimes, I regret to say, less healthy and more processed.  I do believe this is just a stage though, survival mode while we adjust to our third child) and I still aim to make healthy and from scratch food with locally grown produce as much as I can.  Most of all, I am grateful for my husband who was so thoughtful to get the gift for me that he knew I'd been wanting.  (by the way, he is also benefitting from the skillet that he cooks his morning bacon in frequently!)  Happy meals ahead...

Comments

Popular Posts