Last Day???

Before I finish out our travel journal today, I wanted to address the issue of why our adorable toddler is nowhere to be found in any of the photos (in case any of you were wondering...).

Well, it's not because we didn't want him in any of the photos, it's because he's not here. My parents graciously agreed to take care of him while we went on this trip. This is a big deal for all of us, as they've never had him this long before, and we've never been separated from him for more than 2 nights. We owe a debt of gratitude to them for all the wonderful care he's receiving while we're gone. (Let's face it: he's having a great time with them, getting lots of attention and spoiled rotten!) But seriously, it wasn't a decision we made lightly to go on this trip without our son. We know that we would've had a fantastic time with him here as well. But it has been such a gift to our marriage to have this time together, just the two of us, away from the huge responsibility of parenting. Uninterrupted conversations, no nap or bedtime schedules to follow, and time to just play together in God's beauty. As you can tell, we've enjoyed it. But, I'm also really excited to get to see my son tomorrow night. So THANK YOU, Grammy & Popo!!!

And on to our last day in Kaua'i...

We spent a lazy, leisurely morning around the resort. We just didn't want to rush anything but just enjoy each moment. Today's agenda held nothing particular to do, except some souvenir shopping, so around 11am we headed over to the Kalapaki Beach Hut for an early lunch--teriyaki burgers!

Then we drove around and did a little shopping, and on the way to return our snorkel gear, decided to drive down a road that led to a place called Kipu Falls. Kipu Falls is one of these local "secrets", that our very cool guidebook (much to the locals' chagrin, I'm sure) reveals. It did feel kind of adventurous to be winding along this unmarked path, through someone's sugarcane field towards the waterfall. Of course, it wasn't that secretive when we arrived, since there were several other tourists there too!

But the cool thing about Kipu Falls is that the falls drop into a very deep pool, and lots of people go swimming there. There is even a ladder bolted into the side of one of the cliffs that you can climb up to a long rope swing in a tree. After 10 minutes of watching other people jump in and swing out, my husband decided that he'd like to try too. (I was a dutiful wife and watched/took photos). It actually looked like a lot of fun, but I didn't have a swimsuit, and am a bit of a wimp for cold water.

Here's the video footage of my husband's first try on the rope swing:
(you can forward the clip through the first 30 seconds)

With all courage and valor behind us, we hiked back to the car, drove down to Po'ipu, shopped a little, ate some local sorbetto and then headed back to Lihu'e for dinner. We ate a Kaua'i Pasta (thanks again, Julie, for a great recommendation). The wait for our food was a little long, but the food was definitely worth it. I'm not sure I can describe what I ate, but here's a try: raviolis stuffed with chicken, sun-dried tomato & gorgonzola cheese. This was topped with a warm spinach salad, with tomatoes, and balsalmic vinegarette-soaked croutons. This was all drizzled with a basil blanc buerre sauce. I may have left something out, but wow, it was good! My husband was also equally thrilled with his linguine and clams, and his coconut shrimp bisque. A great final dinner!

So, now we're sitting here in our hotel room. I am obviously procrastinating from the great task of **sigh** packing. (But I have to journal all of this tonight, right?) I'd better go and help my husband, our flight leaves in the morning. Maybe we'll have time for one more stroll along the beach before we turn in for the night. We're leaving with fond memories, but I have the feeling that we'll be back to Kaua'i again someday.

Comments

Popular Posts