A Sister's Wedding

Two weekends ago, we attended a wedding for an old college friend of mine. We were roommates during our senior year and for some time after we graduated. She was a close friend, a sensitive & humble person who loves to laugh. I have so many fun memories together with her.
(In our young and crazy days...)


Attending this ceremony was very significant to me because I hadn't seen this friend in over 10 years. We've written letters to correspond with each other over the years, and I've spoken with her on the phone one time. This is because my friend is a Sister, as in a cloistered nun. After we graduated from college, she began discerning the religious life and ended up choosing to enter an order that was just beginning here in the States. The sisters in this order are cloistered, because their vocation is prayer. They live at a convent (I'm not sure if that is the PC name for it...) up in the foothills and among many other things, they run a retreat center there. Someday I'd love to make it up there to have some solitude myself!

The "wedding" we attended was her Solemn Profession of Faith, or the final vows that she made to live a life of chastity and poverty to Christ. She, along with 8 other nuns made these vows. In the eyes of the Catholic church, they are now "espoused to Christ." It takes many years to reach this commitment level. My friend has been in for 10 years. Not being from a Catholic background, I found the 3 hour-long Mass very interesting, even with sections of it being spoken in Latin. It actually was similar to a secular wedding ceremony in many ways. I was really humbled and touched to see how my friend's commitment and devotion are still going strong. We all had our doubts when she was first beginning this lifestyle, but I'm glad to see that she is happy in the choice that she made. Even with all the time that's passed with limited contact, it was easy to talk to her. I can see that she is still the same person. She still likes to laugh and have fun.

We weren't supposed to take any photos during the ceremony, but here are a couple from the reception afterwards:



Congratulations, Sister Mary Stephen!

Comments

KDC said…
Love it!! The old pictures bring back such fun memories. She has the best smile.
romi said…
Wow! I remember the story! How special for you to see her!!! :)

Popular Posts