Family Vacation

We just returned from a wonderful week of vacation in the OC. We love visiting this area, not just because it is right by the ocean, or because the weather is perfect, or because there are so many fun outdoor activities for families to do, but because I spent 8 years of my young adult life living in the area and it's also where my husband & I first met each other! This past week, I was reflecting on how a lot of me "becoming my own person" happened in OC. Many important friendships and growth happened during those years. I haven't lived there for over 10 years now, but when I visit favorite old "haunts" it is a little surreal, especially having my two kids with me. All that to say that being in OC, is more than just a vacation place to me.


Anyway, we are really fortunate to have a fantastic place to stay and this is the second time we've been able to stay there with kids. Our last week-long vacation was in Hawaii, sans kids, so my hubby and I had to keep reminding ourselves that vacationing with kids is NOT the same. Good, but not the same. Especially at Disneyland, we had to keep looking at each other and saying (as we passed on OUR favorite Disneyland rides) "This trip is NOT for us, this trip is NOT for us..." We were pretty lucky though, as we did have some friends (who have annual passes to D-land) join us in the Magic Kingdom and help us manage our kids and keep non-riders company. Without them, the day would've been a LOT less fun for all of us! (& we wouldn't have been able to go on Space Mountain at all...) Thanks Tita, Matthew & Scott Michael.

Our kids were fantastic travelers in the car and adjusted really well to their sleeping accommodations (they shared a room!). We have some dear friends and family in the area, so it was special to get to share part of our vacation with them. We also got to host a baby shower for my brother & sister in-law while we were there and see most of my husband's extended family. It was a full week!

So, just to share our highlights, I think I have to break it down by family member:
Papa's highlights: the family baby shower, relaxing mornings, Disneyland, and playing at the beach



Mama's highlights: not menu planning or cooking for the week, dessert out with my former roommate, jogging on the beach, watching our kids enjoying the water & going on Space Mountain with my hubby


Our son's highlights: Disneyland (especially Astro Blasters, Autopia & the Nemo submarine rides---he was NOT a fan of the roller coasters we talked him into going on), building sand castles, swimming in the pool and jacuzzi at our hotel, operating the elevator by himself, his new "light-up sword," eating peanut butter Puffins every morning, running into the waves and sleeping in a big bed by himself!


Our baby girl's highlights: splashing in the pool, It's A Small World, being held in the Bjorn by Cousin Scott, exploring the world around her by rolling everywhere and putting anything she can reach into her mouth!

Here are some more photos of our trip:










Missing vacation already!

Comments

Jamie said…
What a great recap! And fantastic photos! I love the last one! So glad you had a good, relaxing trip!
The Isaacs said…
Ditto everything Jamie said! :) So glad to know you had a great time!

Popular Posts