Kitchen Helpers

Since I started staying home full-time with my son (4 years ago now!), we eat most of our meals at home. Initially it was all about saving money, but cooking has become something I really enjoy doing and can even be pretty passionate about. I've come a long way in a short time, and I'm glad I have a lifetime ahead of me to continue learning. I currently don't have time to cook the kind of meals I really want to, but I still spend quite a bit of my day in the kitchen. Consequently, so do my kids.

Our son is at a point where he can be very helpful in the kitchen. He loves to bake with me and to do some simple prep-work for dinner too. He puts away the silverware each time the dishwasher gets unloaded and he has been known to wash his dishes too!

Our daughter, however, is a different story. She is at a point where I have to keep very close eyes on her all the time in the kitchen. Her favorite things to do in the kitchen are: get into the pantry, pull things out of the recycling trash, pull down all the dishtowels & scatter plastic leftover containers all over the floor.

But most of all, she loves the dishwasher. She could be playing happily in the other room, but as soon as she hears me open the dishwasher, she's crawling full-speed to get there. She loves to pull herself up on the dishwasher & play with any residual water on the door (she's even been known to try and drink it!). It turns out that she is quite a climber, and when down, the dishwasher door is just the right size for her to practice her climbing skills. I usually promptly move her down if I see her sitting on top of the door, but just once, I had to snap a picture...

Of course, we are hoping that her affinity for the dishwasher will benefit us someday...maybe she will joyfully embrace a future dishwashing chore????


All said, there's nothing that makes me happier than cooking
in the kitchen with my two little ones at my feet or by my side!

Comments

KDC said…
They are so cute!! I remember Grace and Sarah used to climb the dishwasher like that.
kc said…
and do they still love the dishwasher???
Carrie said…
I agree with you that cooking is somehow an amazing experience. I enjoyed cooking before, especially with Joel. However, now I feel ashamed that I seldom cook after Bella's birth...I've got many excuse for that: The kitchen is too messy caused by the Chinese-style food; I am not good at cooking Chinese food; stay in the kitchen with Bella is too risky; the "handmaid" does a better job on cooking...But kitchen is one of the favorite place that Bella likes! Hope some day I would get to enjoy cooking with Bella by my side...of course, in a large/neat/full equipped kitchen. ;p

Popular Posts