Halloween Happenings

We had a busy and fun week leading up to Halloween! I've been trying to provide more learning activities for my preschool-deprived son, so this week we learned about spiders. A couple of months ago I read Charlotte's Web to him, so he already knew quite a bit about these creatures. We made a Spider counting book, made a web and acted out a spider trapping bugs with yarn, and we even made a spider pizza!

I'm not scared of spiders!


We visited our favorite pumpkin patch the Saturday before Halloween, and went through the corn maze there. On Sunday we carved our pumpkin into a Jack-O-Lantern. Our son was particular that he wanted it to have triangle eyes this year. He was also quite distressed when 3 days later, it had mold growing out one of those eyes and we had to pitch Mr. O-Lantern.




On Halloween night we made the rounds, to both grandparents' houses, and trick-or-treating around one neighborhood. At 7:30, we were in the car, proud of ourselves for getting everything done and getting home at a decent hour, when our son started having a meltdown in the backseat because we hadn't gone to the Halloween Carnival at our church! (mind you, when we gave him a choice earlier, he insisted that he didn't want to go to the carnival at all, he just wanted to trick-or-treat) So we stopped on the way home (just as the carnival was wrapping up) and he got to play a couple of games, win a few prizes and eat some popcorn. A full night!

Everyone needs a knight in shining armor...I'm not even sure my son knew what a knight was until he saw this costume at Costco & wanted it because of the sword. He designed and made the shield together with his dad.

Quack, quack!
Our daughter also chose her own costume (on the same Costco trip). I was merely trying to show her all the different animals that were on the table, "Oooh, look at the kitty, " "Do you see the doggy?" But she kept grunting and pointing at the duck costume. So I picked it up to show her. She refused to let go of it. Seriously, she screamed her head off whenever I tried to coax it out of her hands. She held onto it all the way through the store, and I eventually came to peace with giving up any other ideas I had for a creative, home-made costume of my choosing, and let my little girl be a duck. She was pretty stinkin' cute, I have to admit.

Comments

KDC said…
That's funny. Kelly's little girl felt the same way about the same Costco Duck costume....so very cute!
The Isaacs said…
Both kids looked SO CUTE in their costumes! (I really love N's tights!) Sorry to have missed you guys on Halloween night!

Popular Posts