Polka Dot Party


In addition to our family dinner on our daughter's actual birthday, we also invited our family and a few of her buddies to come and celebrate at a polka dot party the Saturday after her birthday.  My brother and sister-in-law graciously allowed us to host the party in their backyard, and it was the perfect place to let the kids run around & play.  We thought the pool would be the big hit, since it was a hot day, but the toddlers all preferred the play structure & swings!

The birthday girl was determined to get on the monkey bars!
 The polka dot theme was a fun one for me to get into.  There are SO many cute dotty ideas out there, and I had to show restraint and be realistic about what I could pull off for the party.  I really wanted to make these tissue paper poms that I've seen at a couple of parties, but in the end I delegated this to my mom, they turned out great!

Thanks, Grammy!
The one detail that I wouldn't let go of, and started early on was making this polka dot pennant.  I was happy with the way it turned out, and ended up loving the colors so much, that I'm using it to set the colors in our kids' shared bedroom when the new baby comes.  I think the orange and teal are so fun and friendly for both a girl or boy room



The drinks & dessert table...thanks to Jamie for the polka dot cupcakes!
Bryten & Kaya rockin' the swings



Buddy Owen on the horse

Upside-down Violet, the gymnastics queen
These two cousins have a blast together!


Joshie, our almost one-year old cousin
Once I got started on "polka dot" (ie. round and circular) food, I almost couldn't stop!  We decided to do meatball sandwiches for lunch, with two choices:  teriyaki chicken or Italian marinara.  My mom also helped make peanut butter and jelly rounds for the kids.  I made a melon ball salad, and we had different colored cherry tomatoes, blueberries, grapes, and of course, cheese balls!  It was all very kid-friendly and finger friendly food.


I think the older kids liked it too!
Cousins Noah & Isabella eating up
Grammy and the birthday girl

More aunties & uncles & cousins (Po-po too!)
Time to blow out my candle (again!)
 What a difference a year makes.  Last year, at her first birthday, she had never eaten cake before, had no idea what to do with a candle and was pretty clueless about opening gifts as well.  This year, she seemed to grasp all of those things.  She was excited to open her presents, and she had lots of "helpers" to show her what to do.  Thank you so much to everyone for celebrating with us & being so generous!


 Our little girl had a great day and she loved spending it with friends & family.  She is still talking about her birthday, and since then, whenever we talk about it being someone's birthday or going to a party, she assumes it is HER birthday again.  We've had to explain to her that she has to wait until July for her next birthday.  We are so excited for what this new year will bring for you, our big TWO year old!



Comments

The Isaacs said…
Such a cute party, Kristen- you did a great job with all of the details! I LOVE the yellow!!! Happy Birthday to sweet Nia!!!

Popular Posts