Slow Down, Baby!

I have very mixed emotions whenever I reflect on our third-born child.  She's been "on the outside" for 10 months now, and while we can't imagine our family without her, I still feel like the days are zooming by and her whole existence is like this short flash.  Out of all my kids, she is the one I've had the least amount of concentrated one-on-one time with.  Most days I have to ask myself, if, outside of nursing, I have spent any one-on-one time with her at all.  I try not to feel too guilty about this as it is just the reality of having 3 young children.  I know and realize that she is getting a unique experience from having older siblings (which my other kids didn't get) that is important & instrumental in her development.

However, some days I just feel a little sad about how fast she is growing up.  I want to slow down time, scoop her up, and cuddle her close to me while she still fits so snug in my arms.  I look at her and think that I'm not going to have a baby for much longer.


These feelings have all kind of peaked for me this month, as this little one (physically the smallest of our three) very determinedly started walking.  We definitely had hints that she might be an early walker.  She was pulling herself up and cruising already at 8 months.  But I still hoped that she'd hold off on all the independence.  She didn't.


 In addition to walking, she is into everything!  (Yes, we all remember this stage...) Any cabinet or drawer she can open, she promptly empties of all its contents.  So fun!  Out of all 3 kids, she seems to be the most active.  It is rare to ever find her still, she is in constant motion...even while nursing!  She's very curious and very tactile as well, she loves to feel and touch things.  Always grabbing for something that has caught her eye.  We mourn the fact that she isn't a snuggler at all, any attempt to cuddle with her, usually ends up in a struggle and sometimes a scratch or two (she even flipped my contact out of my eye once!).

She is happy, though.  People often comment that she is content and a very "chill" baby.  I'm not totally sure I agree, but I will say that she smiles easily and often, and isn't too upset by people or circumstances.  She sleeps easily at other people's houses (something our others never did) and is flexible in her schedule.  So in some ways she may be easy-going, but in other ways I know that she is one determined kid.  It will be very interesting to see how she continues to develop.














Don't grow too fast though.  

Comments

Carrie said…
Your little one seemed so alike with our one, Sophia! Active, couldn't stop to be still, not liking to be cuddled(and kissed), in a very strict schedule, easy to fall asleep, curious and brave to try everything..... All those younger one are like this? Or the "not-being--concerntracted" ones would have their ways to "survive"? But it's a real fun to see different characters on every siblings!

Popular Posts