A Tribute to Dim Sum

"To the ruler, the people are heaven, to the people, food is heaven."

After visiting Southern China again, I was reminded that Cantonese food is like heaven for the tastebuds. Mmmm! Hence, I decided to devote a whole blog post to the topic of dim sum.

In Southern China, going to tea is called "yum cha" and it is accompanied with lots of snack foods. Usually they are served in stainless steel or bamboo steamer baskets. In English, we call it 'dim sum'. For those of you who have not had the privilege to try it, I wanted to show you a collection of our favorites. I cannot take credit for the photography, however. I found the photos at Flickr.com. I am getting hungry just looking at them (and I just ate dinner!) Also my spelling and translation is rough...please feel free to help me correct it if you can!

1) Chang Fen: long rice noodle stuffed with beef or shrimp

2) Siu Mai: pork & veggie stuffed dumpling w/roe on top

3) Another yummy shrimp filled dumpling

4) Cha Siu Bao: BBQ pork filled bun

5) Xiao Lun Bao: a Shanghainese dumpling with meat and juice inside

6) Congee: a comfort food-rice porridge with different kinds of toppings-mmmm!

7)Sesame balls: a sweet pastry, usually with lotus or bean paste inside

8)Sticky rice wrapped in banana leaf

9)Egg tart: pastry with egg custard filling

10) Fried radish cake (tastes much better than it sounds!)

Comments

Unknown said…
those pictures are too tantalizing! too yummy!=D
Unknown said…
pixs are so brilliant!! make me feel homesick.

only correction, Xiao lun bao is typical shanghainese food, not belong to northern china :P
The Isaacs said…
Umm... how could you forget the chicken feet!!! Ha ha ha

Popular Posts