How Time Flies!



Today I had the privilege of attending the first high school graduation for one of my students! It was a proud moment for me to watch my former student graduate. She was accepted to the local university and she wants to be a teacher! Ever since she was in my class 8 years ago, we have kept in touch. I also taught her younger sister, and over the years have become friends with the whole family! I got to sit with her mom and older brothers during the ceremony and watch them interact with my son.

I wonder how many of my students from that first class I taught made it to graduation... I'm thankful that I can say that I've had an impact on some of their lives. It makes me miss the opportunities that teaching provides to be a part of peoples' lives. Last week I also visited my former elementary school, and was warmly greeted by so many former students who kept asking when I was going to come back and teach.

After a challenging year of wondering about my identity: as a teacher, as a mom, and wondering what I am contributing to the world, it is nice to be reminded that I have touched peoples' lives. I believe that what I'm doing now, staying home with my son, is the right place for me to be. However it also makes me wonder when and if I will end up back in education someday. Part of me really hopes so.

Congratulations, class of 2008, from your fourth grade teacher!

Comments

Popular Posts