We Are Family

We've been connecting a lot more with our extended family since my brother, his wife and kids have been in town these past 4 weeks. My son definitely enjoys playing with his older boy cousins, and doting on his new baby girl cousin. Every time the 3 boys get together, you can be sure it is a rip-roaring time.

But this past week, we saw even more family than usual. Last Wednesday, our grandma went home to be with Jesus. This was my step-mom's mother, who I have known since I was 6. Since my dad's family is all back in Missouri, all our family gatherings growing up were pretty much with this side of the family. Grandma's memorial services were held on Friday, and that brought all of my siblings into town, and most all of the cousins too. It was a privilege for me to create the video presentation (along with my sis!) for Grandma's memorial service. She lived a very full 92 years, and accomplished a lot. At her service, the church was filled, standing room only, even with extra rows of chairs in the lobby. It was touching to see so many people come to honor her memory and celebrate her life. She really impacted many lives, and it is a challenge for me to think about what kind of legacy I will leave behind someday.

Since all of my siblings were actually in one place at the same time (can't remember the last time THAT happened, maybe my brother's wedding 4 years ago??), we took a few photos to remember it. Now, here's where some family trivia comes in...

Can you name all the people in this photo? And figure out our birth order? And, since we are a blended family, can you tell who is his/hers/ours? I'll give you the answers in a few days... (If you think I have a confusing family already, I haven't even addressed my mom & step-dad's side yet...another time!)

And of course, there were 6 lovely grandchildren running around. Even though they were technically all in one place at one time, getting all of them to actually stay inside a camera frame for more than a few seconds was a challenge! Their ages range from almost 5 yrs old, to 5 months old. Lots of action!




My family life has never been a simple or an easy one, but this past weekend, I was really reminded that in the end, family is who God has given us to share life with. Like them or not, they are the ones who we go through life & death with. And, in my case, although not perfectly, we've somehow managed to stick together when it mattered most. I hope that continues to be true. We'll all miss you Grandma. Thanks for everything you gave to our family.

Comments

Carrie said…
Finally I've read your "updated" blog...I saw your grown-up plants in your garden, Jackson's big boy bed and also Jackson has grown so much! He's changed a lot even I could not regonize him in some photos! I like eggplant too and I am sure the dish you've tried the first time in China must be the "yu xiang qie zi bao" - Yu-Shiang Eggplant en Casserole (Sautéed with Spicy Garlic Sauce)!

Popular Posts