Celebrating

My women's Bible study has just finished a study on the book of Esther. The end of the book describes in detail the origins and celebration of the Jewish holiday of Purim. As I listened to our speaker, I realized that I actually have a difficult time celebrating. I don't mean organizing or throwing a party or celebratory event. I mean really letting go in my heart and abandoning to celebration. Probably I have been this way my whole life, a little too serious or uptight to "let loose." Even my husband had a hard time pinpointing occasions where I've been able to just enjoy celebrating, free from any other worries or cares. I am much better at being needy, & having all sorts of problems to bring as I faint before the Lord.

I would like to grow in this area, being able to celebrate more freely. I don't think this means that I have to act crazy or in ways that are totally out of my character, but what would it look like for me to celebrate something great that God has done in my life? Without holding onto my fears that something is waiting just beyond the bend that I won't be able to handle? I'd love to hear your ideas on the subject of celebrating, so feel free to share a comment, or better yet, let's get together and have lunch or dessert and talk about it!

We did get a couple of opportunities to practice celebrating this past week. We had our 6th wedding anniversary last Saturday. We celebrated by getting a babysitter to come to our house, feed our son dinner and put him to bed, while we tried something new--birdwatching! (RT & TScoop aren't you proud??) We went on a Bird Walk at the River Center which was actually quite relaxing and fun to stop and be still enough to listen and look at the creatures that are around us all the time.

After that, we headed out for a nice dinner at a crowded steakhouse. (at least the chocolate lava cake was fantastic!)


Another number six to celebrate, is that I'm now 6 months pregnant (at least I think I can safely say that...counting weeks and months gets a little confusing to me!) I am 25 weeks along, and starting to feel my belly getting in the way of many simple manuvers (tying my shoes, bending over to pick up the endless things that my son leaves laying around, etc.) Truthfully I feel so huge compared to when I was 6 mos. pregnant with our son. I do enjoy feeling all the movement that is going on in there though! Here is a photo of me & our growing little one:

How do you celebrate?

Comments

Unknown said…
congrats on the anniversary. only 6 years? it seems like longer, like i've had you as a sis-in-law forever! =)
The Isaacs said…
Despite you feeling like you're "bigger" this time around, I think you look amazing! :)
Congrats on your 6 years... A very exciting year coming up for your family- truly, there is so much to celebrate!
romi said…
Celebrate! Well, how do I celebrate? I think as Jesus gets more and more healing done in our hearts, the thing about celebrating and enjoying it is just not having to try. I think He can and will do that for you as you ask... and then enjoy! Maybe something to help you look for this so you don´t feel that "you can´t do it" is to remember the things that you enjoy... that take your breat away. Because I think that´s a celebration in an of itself. I celebrate when I dance... and just enjoy doing it or even being a little goofy. I´ll try to remember to pray for you on this. Aaanddd... I think celebrating is also about letting go of control, and realizing God will always be good, no matter what. But I shall pray. Lord, remind me!!! :)
romi said…
And yes, I must agree... you look amazing!!! :)

Popular Posts