Hubby's BDay


I always feel bad when my husband's birthday rolls around in mid-January, because after all the holiday craziness is over (& in this year's case, a crazy vacation as well), I am just not in much of a gift-giving, party-making mood.  He is totally fine with not having a big hoopla for his birthday, and never expects anything, but still, I want to try and make the day special for him.

An early birthday lunch on the last day of our vacation
Thankfully, my brother & sister-in-law, had the idea to get together for lunch and have a cake and celebrate my husband's birthday on the last day we were in Orange County (right before that dreaded trek up the Grapevine in the snow) so it was nice to get to celebrate with them first.

Then back at home, on his actual birthday, we met up with him for lunch at our favorite sandwich spot near his work.  I arrived early and ordered ahead, since his lunch hour always flys by when it's with all of us.  The kids and I also picked up his favorite drink, bo ba nai cha, at Pearl Tea House and brought it along.

It was important for my son to have the score, 19-17 on the cake...
In the afternoon, the kids and I made some cards and baked a football cake for him from scratch.  It was his late night at work, so when he got home at 7:30, the kids were all bathed, and we sang Happy Birthday and ate cake together.  He definitely had a sports theme, he got a subscription to ESPN magazine, and our son made him this creative gift.

Any guesses?  I had no idea what it was...
Here he is, demonstrating how to use it...
 My husband was actually so surprised and impressed that our son knew what this was.  Apparently quarterbacks have these things that they wear on their arms and they write their plays on them.  I was more touched by his making it because it was all his own idea one morning to create it for him (& our son is not typically the arts & crafty/creative type of kid).  After he was done making it, he came up to me and very apologetically said, "Mama, I think you need to buy more tape now.  I used it all up."  So sweet!

I know it wasn't much, but our hearts were in it.  We are so thankful and grateful for the wonderful man that God gave us to be our husband and father.  He is a wonderful role model and leader for our family, who continually gives of himself and serves us daily.  We celebrate his life & all the years God has given him and pray for many more!  Happy birthday, babe!

We all love you Papa!  Thanks for all you do for us!



Comments

Popular Posts