Totally Tomatoes


Since I got so many great suggestions & recipes from posting Zowie, Zucchini!, I thought I'd ask for help with my latest produce. My roma tomatoes are almost ripe, and today I picked the first bunch. I thought I'd wait a few days, and try to harvest more before I do something with them. Any suggestions?

I've heard that roma tomatoes are the best variety to make sauces and pastes out of. I have NEVER made tomato sauce from scratch before, and am really wondering if all the work is really worth it when I can buy a jar of it at the store for 2 bucks. I'm willing to give it a try, though. Does anyone have a good recipe for homemade tomato sauce? I don't think I'm up for canning, since I probably won't get more than a couple dozen tomatoes, but I thought if I made sauce I could freeze it. Any tips are appreciated by this rookie!

Comments

KDC said…
Yum! They look great. I don't know about homemade pasta sauce, but Romas are good for making salsa which I do a lot in the summer. Here's my recipe...

5-6 roma tomatoes cut in large chunks
1/2 bunch green onions
1 clove garlic
1-2 seeded serrano or jalapeno peppers
1/2 bunch cilantro
Juice of one lime
salt and pepper to taste
Pulse all in a food processor or blender.

My measurements are very rough...add or take away to your liking. I add it to mashed avocado to make quacamole too. Now all you need is a margarita.

Popular Posts