Adios Crib

Over the past several weeks I've been wondering when my son would transition from his crib to a "big boy" bed. I've asked a few times if he wanted to sleep in a big bed, or his crib, and he adamantly insisted, "I want my crib!" So, hey, fine with me. Everyone has told me that if he's OK with it, let him stay in his crib. Everyone says it's easier that way.

I even took some photos of him in his crib a couple of weeks ago, because it was just so cute how much he loved being in it.




But, last Wednesday, his happy crib days abruptly came to an end.

I guess I could blame it on the fact that he slept in a twin-sized bed in the same room as us while we stayed at our cousins the week before. However, when we got home, he seemed very excited to be back in his own room, and his own crib. He slept in it with no problems for 3 days after we got home. And then, on Wednesday, he absolutely refused to take a nap in his crib. Like he totally freaked out, and desperately tried to climb out. He asked to sleep in my bed, to sleep on the floor, anywhere but in his crib. This was so strange to me since he had just happily woken up in it several hours before. So I asked him again, "Do you want to sleep in your big boy bed?" and for the first time, he said, "Yes." So I dragged it out of the closet and set it up on the floor where his crib had been. He actually took a nap in it.

Later that night, my husband took the crib apart. It was an emotional moment for me, because as I watched him disassembling it, I couldn't help but remember the day he put it together. We were both so excited--anticipating our son's birth, and becoming parents for the first time. I realized that I never thought about taking down the crib, assuming that a new sibling would displace our son first. I hope I get to feel that excitement of expecting a new child again.

But for now, the crib is in pieces, sitting in the closet. I figure there's no going back, our son is going to stay in a big boy bed, and I might as well get used to it as soon as possible. I'm kind of like that, once a phase of his babyhood is over, I try to erase all the evidence of it, so that I don't mope & get all nostalgic over it.

He does look awfully cute though, sleeping in his big new bed. I guess this is the emotional tension of being a parent. You want them to stay your little baby, but at the same time, you are so proud of them when they transition to a new accomplishment.


Sweet dreams, son.

Comments

Jamie said…
Who needs a rail when you sleep with your head against the wall? He is cute in that big bed!
KDC said…
He is so cute! Those transitions are bitter sweet and they never seem to let up. I'm glad he likes his big boy bed though!
romi said…
He looks SO big!!! I miss watching him grow!!! hopefully in December I´ll get to see him and you guys again!!!

Popular Posts