Behold the Eggplant

What started out as the tiniest, most pathetic plant in my vegetable garden has now become king of them all. My Chinese eggplant was barely making it under the shadow of my zucchini plants, and I just couldn't keep up with all the grasshoppers continually munching holes through all of its leaves. Now, the zucchini plants are long gone, and the eggplant reigns!



Pretty much the only reason I planted eggplant in the first place was because I wanted to make this dish. It was the first eggplant dish I ever ate that I truly enjoyed. I was introduced to it while I was living in China 13 years ago, and have never found a really good duplication of it here.


Then I realized that with as much eggplant that I was getting, I should probably look for a few more ways to prepare it. We've grilled it on the barbeque, and I included it in a yummy vegetarian lasagna last week. I'm trying it in an eggplant supper soup tonight, but my favorite eggplant recipe so far is an Indian curry dish called baingan bharta. Truthfully, I don't know how very authentic this particular recipe is, but it's easy and I really enjoy it. Upon doing some more research, I found this website that offers some more info on eggplants & preparing them. There is even a facebook group you can join called, "I love eggplant," (don't worry, I haven't joined it).


Does anyone else out there enjoy eggplant? I'd love some more ideas (& know who to pass my extra produce off to!). What are your favorite eggplant recipes?

Comments

KDC said…
Yum! Your eggplant recipes look tasty and I don't even like eggplant. Maybe I'll have to give it another chance.
TScoop said…
I actually LOVE eggplant. Our Japanese eggplant is starting to flower, so hopefully it'll start producing here soon. I like it in baba ganoush, eggplant parmigiana, in veggie sandwiches, and pretty much throw it into anything that resembles a side dish. My dad has a recipe using eggplant and mung (?) beans; I'll have to get his recipe! How fun!
The Isaacs said…
We're trying to eat one vegetarian meal every week, so I'm also looking for eggplant recipes. I've only tried one so far. Let me know if you find some other keepers!
Christa Wiens said…
I'll take some extras! I'd love to try those recipes of yours :)
Hi, I'm Jamie Mack's mom. Ratatoullie (I don't think it's spelled right) is a great dish with eggplant in it. Bon appetite! Janice
kc said…
Thanks for all the suggestions! The eggplant supper soup was easy & tasty. And I'll start looking for some good baba ganoush & ratatouille recipes as well. Happy eating!

Popular Posts