Snow Activities in sunny CA

This year I was so determined to do preschool activities at home with our son instead of sending him to preschool somewhere else.  We weren't worried about Jackson's academic progress, he's already reading at 4 years old and has fantastic math and reasoning skills too.  To be honest, we just didn't want to have to spend the extra money if we didn't need to, and I was being lazy and not wanting to drive him anywhere far away (since there aren't any real options near our home!)

Thanks to a great website that a mom I got to talking to at the zoo told me about (Prekinders) I was very inspired on some winter themes.  There were even several activities that I could include Nia in.  Below are some photos that I took to document Jackson's preschool experience at home!

Art project:  A Gift for Papa's Birthday

One-to-one correspondence with "snowballs" (marbles)


Science experiment: melting ice with colored water
I love how it's so sunny and warm we are doing our
January/snow activities in the backyard!  Gotta love living in CA!

Even Sho-be gets into the puzzles
I love all the learning she is doing too!
Pattern blocks: Jackson loves to create things and have me take pictures of them
Building forts has also become a favorite pastime,
especially playing in them by flashlight

Building a snowman with our neighbors who came
over to join us for "preschool" one January day
We read some great snowman books together
I love how these turned out...always so self-portrait like!

We made snowmen snacks out of English muffins,
cream cheese, fruit tape, nuts & berries

We kept a daily weather log in January (I assumed that
we'd get varied types of weather that would be fun to graph later)
When we went to make our weather graph later....it was pretty easy to see
which type of weather we'd had the most!  Almost all the days were sunny!
Sunny smiles for this growing boy
The funny thing about this, is that after all the time and effort I put into doing preschool activities at home in January...we ended up signing Jackson up to start preschool in February at New Harvest Church (a reasonable location since it was by Papa's work, and we already knew his teacher, Ms. Lori, from church).  I loved doing all of this with Jackson, but to be honest, I was tired!!!  Also we started to realize how much Jackson would benefit socially from being in preschool, so these were (sort of) my last attempts to homeschool...this child at least!

Comments

Popular Posts