Happy Year of the Ox



Today starts the Chinese New Year, Year of the Ox. Since we live far away from the Chinese side of the family, I decided to try and cook 'mi sua', a noodle dish that my husband grew up eating at the New Year. The noodles, of course, represent long life, so no biting or cutting the noodles short (slurping only!). And I threw in some eggs, which traditionally indicate prosperity & fertility. I also kind of Filipino-ized the dish, by adding adobo chicken & sauce.




Because everything tastes better with friends, we invited my former roommate, and her husband over to eat with us. Even though they knew it was my first time trying this dish, they graciously partook of it. Apparently it was OK, everyone finished their bowls! We even made mango pudding for dessert, although I must confess, the restaurant versions of this tasted better than ours.

Best wishes to all of you for a healthy and blessed New Year!

Comments

The Lomeli clan said…
I think it looks delicious!! I love foods that make you go, "I wonder what's in that".
Jamie said…
Happy New Year! or is it, "Gung Hey Fat Choy"! Sorry, I probably slaughtered that and just cussed you out!
Anonymous said…
A little bit of this, a little bit of that...that's the best way to go. Good stuff!
kc said…
In case the photo isn't clear... or if anyone else is wondering...it's noodles, a chicken drumstick, an egg (brown b/c it's sauteed in soysauce), mushrooms and bok choy (green leafy Chinese vegetable).
Unknown said…
looks good to me! I tried doing misua too last week (not for Chinese New Year), but it still didn't taste like mama's. oh well, we'll develop our own tastes.
Carrie said…
I just think should "mi sua" be "mi xian"? In China there's another kind of noodle for long-lived meaning which is much thicker than the one you made, elastic and very tasty! I also like (and like to cook)noodle very much and yours looked good! Hope someday I can try~

Popular Posts