P.T.

No, I'm not writing about my husband's profession. I just wanted to vent and ask for feedback from all of you that have gone before me in the wonderful journey of potty training.

Yes, perhaps our son is a little young yet, but he seemed ready, so this week, I took advantage of the fact that I had absolutely no commitments on the calendar (shocking) and took away the diapers. Pretty much letting him run around w/nothing on the bottom. We've had a couple of friends visit, so we did put clothes on then. Yesterday, the first day, I was pretty frustrated b/c of all the underwear and shorts we peed right through. He didn't seem to cue in (or mind) that he was getting himself all wet. This morning was no better. I was totally ready to throw in the towel if I saw no progress by tonight. But, after his nap, he told me twice he needed to pee and did it in the right place, then later, did a big #2 in the potty also. No accidents between nap and bedtime. So, I guess I can't give up yet. Any advice?? What happens when I eventually need to leave the house???

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey Kristen-
Since I have a boy too, thought I'd chime in. Cam did the same thing, probably around the same age as Jackson. But it didn't stick or maybe I didn't stick with it long enough. Became way too frustrating so I did go back to diapers and didn't push the issue until closer to 3. It was much easier. He was ready and so was I. Hopefully it will work, but if not, don't be discouraged because boys typically potty train later than girls.
Christa said…
You're doing great, Kristen! The best advice I got was to set a timer. Don't wait for him to tell you he needs to go, tell him it's potty time. Start with 15 minutes if you have to and then move up. I had to do 30 minutes for quite a while. That extends into leaving the house- take him before you go, then 30 minutes later, and 30 minutes after that. And always carry a change of clothes!
James said…
Just as far as the mess of potty training, you can get "plastic" underwear to go over the cotton underwear to help catch the pee. There's less mess than just cotton underwear but yet they still feel that they are wet. Maybe you have these already, but you can also buy the training underwear which is thicker and more absorbent. And I also found that with both my 2 older kids it actually does get easier the closer they are to 3. So it just depends on how anxious you are to get out of diapers.
Hang in there,
Marcy
Unknown said…
hey girl,
thought I'd give my 2 cents too. I know every kid is different when it comes to PT'ing. With my first two, I waited until I had to have them trained for pre-k. I had heard too many stories of frustrated parents trying at an earlier age (like 18 months!)Well, with training, there WILL be accidents here and there and it will feel like it's going backwards after a few successes, but as long as you stick with it, he'll be trained in no-time. I did get frustrated with both older kids but it wasn't their fault..but they were ready when school time came. Going out to the store was another stressful time as well. Now baby Olivia, on the other hand, wants to already be potty trained so she's wearing those pull-up trainers and she does use the potty most of the time. So I am very grateful for this! So like I said, every kid is different.
mel said…
Hi Kristen! Ethan's around the same age as J. He just turned 2 not too long ago and I'm actually dreading P.T. =P I think for now I'm going to take the "relaxed method" (several months) until I can carve out enough uninterrupted time and then move onto the "casual progressive" method which is accomplished within 2-4 weeks. I've been geting tips from the book, "Becoming Pottywise" by the same writers of "Becoming Babywise" have you heard? So I've been frequently emphasizing on words such as "clean" and "dry"..But I think you're on the right track with doing it cold turkey without training pants or pull-ups...i heard pull-ups are just like diapers anyway..they don't feel it. Good luck! I totally can understand how you may be feeling.

Popular Posts