Spring Bounty

I have always loved the spring. When I was a child, it was because my birthday is in the spring. But even as an adult, I always enjoy the warmer (if even too warm, where we live) weather, longer daylight hours, new color in all the gardens, and especially all the fruit that becomes available.

Recently I re-discovered a farm market near my house. I've been going every week to see what new things they have. Mostly I'm buying strawberries, which are getting sweeter and sweeter each week. I got really motivated, and made strawberry shortcake from scratch, and my first strawberry pie (not totally from scratch). They were yummy! Last week they had blueberries on sale from a local farmer, 6 baskets for $3.99! I froze most of them, but not before I made a lemon-blueberry cake.

Mmmm! What berry recipes do you like?

Here are a few photos of our son, enjoying his favorite way to eat spring fruit--smoothies!

(note the glistening forehead)

Comments

KDC said…
Happy Birthday! Your berry treats sound yummy. We have a strawberry stand nearby. They are so good this year. We have been eating them by the flat.
Jamie said…
What? $3.99 for 6 baskets of blueberries? I LOVE blueberries and at the Vineyard FM it's that much for one basket! Pick some up for me next time...or better yet, we'll come with you to your Farm Market! When is it?
Unknown said…
that last picture of J looks different, looks more asian. maybe because the eyes are more pronounced and you can't see the hair. =)

Popular Posts